We Hope for Better Things  - Linda Davis;Erin Bartels;Stephen G. Eoannou;Morgan Hunt;Christine Venzon;Robert Steven Williams;Mary Flynn;Sharon J. Mondragon;Johanna Bilbo;Kendall Klym;Bill Wasserzieher ;Elizabeth Brown;Willa Elizabeth Schmidt;Barbara Yost;Jacquelin Cangro;Elizabeth Ro

I received this book for free from the publisher (Revell Reads) in exchange for an honest review.

This was an insightful historical novel about three generations of women from Detroit. It takes place during the civil war, the Detroit riots, and present day.

Out of the three stories, I found Mary’s (the civil war one) to be the most compelling and interesting. The present day storyline was probably the weakest just because there wasn’t anything super exciting going on and it was more focused on discovering what happened in the past.

I liked how the three stories intersected and connected. The events were woven together nicely and I liked how the secrets slowly unraveled. I also liked that it took place in Detroit and talked about the riots because that isn’t a topic that is often discussed.

I also appreciated that the author included a note at the end of the book discussing that any shortcomings or pitfalls are her own fault and acknowledging the fact that she is a white woman writing about people of color. I love that level of awareness and am always happy to see authors admit that.

The thing that prevented me from giving it 5 stars, was that it took me a while to connect with the story and characters. It wasn’t until I was near the end that I felt that emotional connection with them.

Overall, I enjoyed this look into the past and found this to be a wonderful debut book.