The Reluctant Healer - Andrew Himmel

I received this book for free from Smith Publicity in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a pleasant surprise. When I was offered this book to review, I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant because of the healing aspect of the book. I decided to give it a chance since it is about a lawyer and I am currently in law school.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the first third of the book. It started off a little slow and I didn’t know what direction the book was going to go. It wasn’t until Will takes a leave of absence from his law firm that things really picked up and got exciting.

As a law student I LOVED the legal aspects of the book. I loved that it was written as a Memorandum. I loved how it showed him going to court and the opinion at the end. Since the author is a lawyer it was all very authentic. I even saw some of the things I am learning about in school (like failure to state a cause of action and references to Learned Hand).

As for the healing aspect of the book, it was interesting. I still don’t know what to think about it all, but it did provide a lot of food for thought.

Character-wise, I wasn’t the biggest fan of Erica. At times she bothered me a lot because of her attitude. But on the other hand I loved Will. I loved seeing his journey and how he grew throughout the book.

Overall, this was a different, yet intriguing read.