Everything She Didn't Say - Jane Kirkpatrick

I received this book for free from the publisher (Revell Books) in exchange for an honest review.

This book provided a fascinating glimpse into the real life of Carrie Strahorn, a famous pioneer woman. Prior to reading this book, I had never even heard of her.

I loved how the book focused on the things Carrie didn’t say in her memoir. It gave a nuanced portrayal of the actuality and hardships of being a pioneer, as well as just being a woman during her time. I also liked how it explored her complicated relationship with her husband. It showed both the ups and downs of their marriage.

The author did a tremendous amount of research and it really showed throughout the book. The book is rich in details and in facts. There is even an author’s note at the end, explaining what was fact and what was fiction.

This book is published by a Christian publisher so there is a Christian element to it, but it’s very subtle and well done.

My one critique is that the story dragged a bit in the middle since it was just Carrie and her husband constantly traveling. I got a little lost in it. Once they got settled down in a town the book picked up again.

Overall, I really enjoyed learning about Carrie and the author did an amazing job portraying her life.