My Plain Jane - Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows, Cynthia Hand

I received an ARC of this book for free as part of BookSparks’ YA Summer Reading Challenge.

I was so excited to read this book, but it ended up being not quite what I was expecting. I love Jane Eyre (it’s one of my favorite classics) and I expected a fun retelling. I kind of got that, but at the same time kind of didn’t.

Also I just want to throw it out there that I have never read My Lady Jane, so I can’t say how it compares to that book.

I enjoyed the Jane Eyre aspects of the book a lot. I loved seeing the new takes on classic Jane Eyre scenes and characters. Those were a lot of fun.

I also loved the commentary and the little pop culture references, especially the Mary Poppins nanny one in the beginning.

However, I wasn’t a huge fan of the ghost hunting storyline. It was a bit much and overtook most of the story. It could have been cut down.

The beginning was also a bit slow. It took a while for the story to really get going.

As for the characters, I liked having both Jane and Charlotte’s perspectives. But I really didn’t care much for Alexander. I was never that excited to read his parts.

Overall, I wanted less ghostbusters and more epic gothic romance.