But Not Forever - Joy Schleh

I received an ARC of this book for free as part of BookSparks’ YA Summer Reading Challenge.

This was a fun and fast read. It wasn’t super intricate but it was still enjoyable.

I loved the characters, especially the side characters like Kerry (she was the best!) and Sonnet’s cousins.

The ending was really good. I didn’t quite know how it was going to end but I loved the reveal that happened. I was on the fence about this book while I was reading it, but the ending tipped me over and made me decide that I liked the book.

As for the things I didn’t like, there were a few things I wasn’t huge fan of. The first being that the book read a little too juvenile for my taste. The characters are 15 and 16 but the writing style felt very middle grade.

Second, there really was no explanation at all for the time travel aspect. That didn’t bother me a lot, but I still would have lot to have seen more depth to it. How it happened still remains a mystery.

Lastly, two of Sonnet’s cousins were half Filipino and half white (just like me!), and I wish there would have been more done with their heritage, since Filipinos hardly get any representation. I knew it probably wasn’t going to happen, but I kept hoping that there would be some sort of nod to Filipino culture in the book.

Overall, while this book wasn’t 100% perfect, it was still an entertaining read.