Campaign Widows - Aimee Agresti

I received this book for free from the publisher (Harlequin) as part of their bookstagram publicity campaign.

This book and I got off to a rocky start. In the beginning, I had a hard time connecting with the book and the characters. I typically get sucked into chick lit, but I didn’t with this one. To me, it felt a bit like fan fiction in the beginning. It kind of felt like I was reading someone’s fantasy election season. Like the 2016 election was so bad that they just created their own.

Once I hit the halfway mark, things got a whole lot better. The story finally seemed to be picking up and I was able to connect more with the characters. The friendship between the widows also started to blossom at this point and that’s when the book actually started to work for me. However, their friendship never reached its full potential. I would loved to have seen more of them together. A lot of the times two or three of them would be hanging out but not all four of them.

Out of all the widows, I loved Cady and her storyline the most. She had the most development and was really the glue that brought everyone together.

As much as I loved Cady, my favorite character was Parker. I loved his sense of humor and his bar was such a genius idea.

Overall, this was your average chick lit novel, just with an election backdrop.