1968: Today's Authors Explore a Year of Rebellion, Revolution, and Change - Susan Campbell Bartoletti, Marc Aronson

I received this book for free through LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers.

1968 was a fascinating year. This book was not.

I was really looking forward to reading this book because I wanted to learn more about this pivotal year in history. So many important events happened in that year and I was hoping to find some interesting insight into them. Unfortunately, the book left much to be desired.

The book consists of essays from different authors. None of the essays resonated with me. I kept waiting for one to really hit me, but it never happened. Even the ones about the topics I was especially interested in (ex. Kennedy assassination and Mexico City Olympics), didn’t leave much of an impression on me.

There were a few things I liked. One was that the last essay did provide a conclusion to the book. Sometimes with nonfiction books, there’s no wrap up at the end when I feel like there should be one. Luckily, this book did provide some closure.

I also liked the Nightly News segment at the beginning of each section. Those were one of the more interesting pieces to read.

Lastly, the parallels the book made comparing 1968 to 2018 were very interesting and thought provoking.

Overall, the book provides a good baseline to the events of 1968, but ultimately did not manage to do it in an engaging way.