Who Are You, Trudy Herman? - B.E. Beck

I received this book for free as part of BookSparks’ YA Summer Reading Challenge.

I wanted to like this book, but I had a lot of issues with it.

First off, it took me a while to get into the book. It didn’t really engage me until Trudy and her family got sent to the internment camp. That’s when things finally started to get interesting.

I did appreciate that the book focused on German American internment because I didn’t know anything about that prior to reading this book. It was nice to learn more about that.

As for the actual story itself, it was really lackluster. Quite a few things happened, but nothing was ever really developed to its full potential. Everything felt really glossed over; there was no depth to the events. I felt like the book was trying to make some sort of point about injustices, but never really got there.

At one point in the book, Trudy’s class learns about Japanese internment which I felt was a little inaccurate. I’m skeptical that internment would have been a part of the curriculum. That part of the story took place in 1948 in Mississippi. I really don’t think they would have been talking about internment at that time, especially in place that was shown to be segregated and very hostile to blacks.

The ending of the book was so rushed. Something major happened and then it was resolved in like 10 pages and then just ended. There was no closure for a lot of the other little storylines in the book.

Lastly, I can’t stand the cover. It’s a very poorly chosen stock photo. The fence part is fine, because that is a part of the story. But I have major issues with the girl. This book takes place in the 1940’s and the girl looks like she’s from modern times. I could probably buy the shirt she’s wearing from a mall store.

Overall, this book had so much potential, but ultimately failed in its execution.