Current Feels: For those who feel too much - Portia Mabaso

I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I really loved this poetry collection!

The poems are written in an Instagram poet style very similar to Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace, which some people really love and some people really hate. If you’re not a fan of that style, then maybe this book isn’t for you. Personally, I really enjoy that style, so I had no issue with it.

To me this collection felt like a mixture of Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace, with a splash of Lang Leav and Michael Faudet. But Portia’s own voice and unique point of view rang loudly throughout all the poems. They didn’t feel like a copycat of anyone else’s poems; they felt uniquely hers.

My favorite poems were in the Summer and Spring sections of the book. I really liked the romantic poems in Summer because I am a sucker for those. I love reading poems about falling in love. The poems about her African background and heritage in the Spring portion were standouts that really shined. It’s so important that experiences and voices like hers are heard.

Overall, I was very impressed with this collection and I look forward to seeing what else Portia publishes in the future!