Dead Girl Running - Christina Dodd

I received this book for free from the publisher (Harlequin) as part of their bookstagram publicity campaign.

I always have a hard time with rating thrillers. I’m pickier with them than with other genres, and I usually end up rating them somewhere in the middle which is exactly what happened with this book (hence my 3.5 stars).

I loved how the book started off. The opening chapter was really good and helped set up the overall plot line well.

The succeeding chapters, were a bit of an information dump. You get the main character’s backstory and get introduced to a ton of characters. I had a hard time keeping up with all the characters and who they were.

The mystery was very interesting so I was eager to keep reading. I found that I really enjoyed the writing style. Christian Dodd is an excellent writer. I had just finished reading a not-that-great chick lit book before picking up this book, so the writing in this was a nice change.

The book kind of stalled a bit towards the middle, but picked up tremendously towards the end. There was a lot of action in the last 70 pages. However, there were some scenarios towards the end that didn’t feel very realistic so I didn’t love that.

The book does end in a slight cliffhanger, so I am interested in reading the next book.

Overall, this was a well written thriller, but it did have its flaws.