The Theory of Happily Ever After - Kristin Billerbeck

I received this book for free from the publisher (Revell Books) in exchange for an honest review.

Typically I really like chick lit and rom-coms, but I didn’t really like this one.

My main issue with this book was the characters. The main character, Maggie, was pretty annoying for the first half of the book. All she would do was complain about her life over and over again. It got way too repetitive. Maggie’s two best friends were annoying too, especially Haley. I could not stand Haley at all. She acted like a spoiled brat and was not a very good friend, in my opinion. The male characters were slightly better. I really liked Sam, but I thought Brent was just okay.

I also found the book to be too short. I felt like towards the end, the story was just starting to take shape. The book definitely could have benefitted from some more fleshing out.

In regards to what I liked, I enjoyed the premise of the book. The singles’ cruise was a clever idea.

I also liked the references to Disney princesses. There were nods to Beauty and the Beast (at one point Maggie even dresses up as Belle) and one reference to Frozen (pg. 168-“I needed to find solace in another Disney princess and follow her advice: let it go”).

Overall, the book would have been more enjoyable if the characters were less bothersome.