What The Valley Knows - Heather Christie

I received this book for free from BookLikes’ Giveaways.

This book started off really good. It reminded me a little bit of Riverdale with the whole new girl moves to a small town premise. Genre-wise, it was an interesting blend of YA and women’s fiction. There was a lot of intrigue in the beginning over what was to come.

The book was going good until the “terrible thing” happened. I really was not a fan of what it was. Then the accident happened and the book stalled after that. It never reached its full potential. All the intrigue that the first half had was missing.

Then the book kind of ended too conveniently. Everything was wrapped up super quickly and there was a lack of suspense. Basically Molly would just have flashbacks after seeing things. Not that exciting. This book could have been a great romantic suspense novel if it was fleshed out more towards the end. I think that was the main issue. It wasn’t clearly any genre so it tried to be too many. It would have been more successful if it went strictly the romantic suspense route.

Additionally, I felt like there wasn’t enough closure for the other supporting characters. In particular, I was hoping for more of a wrap up on Missi and Legs.

Another thing I did not like were the stereotypes that plagued the book. You had the unpopular band geeks, mean cheerleaders, and brainless jocks. It made the whole book feel old and outdated. It felt like a cliched 80’s movie.

Overall, the book was well written, but fell short of my expectations.