Cinemaps: An Atlas of 35 Great Movies - Andrew DeGraff, Fredric Jameson

I received this book for free from the publisher (Quirk Books) in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this book. The idea behind it is so fun! The book consists of maps from 35 different movie worlds. Some of the movies featured include, Jaws, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Clueless, and Guardians of the Galaxy. The maps are also not your typical flat ones. They are more three dimensional and are reminiscent of bus/subway maps because of the characters’ paths that run throughout them.

Artistically, each map is stunning, You can tell so much work was put into each one. There is so much detail in each map. It’s really amazing.

The essays that accompanied each map were incredibly insightful in its analysis. The essays don’t necessarily correlate to the map; they just talk about the film in general. I also really liked the writing style of the essays. They were easy to read, concise, and flowed nicely.

My one issue with this book is the size of the maps. Even though they take up a whole page, the maps are still too small to fully appreciate. Some parts are made bigger which helps, but it’s still not enough to gain the entire experience. You would need a magnifying glass to see all the little details. In person, the maps would be glorious, but in the book they fall a bit flat.

Together, the essays and the maps create a beautiful coffee table book that will make you want to re-watch the movies featured.